Number of complaints against the States of Jersey Police (FOI)
Number of complaints against the States of Jersey Police (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 12 April 2023.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
How many complaints have there been against the police in the past three years?
What were the nature of the complaints?
What action was taken?
Information about the number of complaints against police officers for 2020 and 2021 is exempt as this information is accessible on www.gov.je in response to a previous Freedom of Information request. Article 23 of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 has been applied. Please see the following link:
Number of complaints against States of Jersey Police (FOI)
|Year||Number of complaints|
*to 30 March 2023
Complaints are categorised into the following types:
• Performance of duties
• Use of force & abuse of authority
• Politeness and tolerance
• General conduct
• Fairness and impartiality
• Honesty and integrity
• Criminal offences
To provide a breakdown of the results of each case and any subsequent actions taken has been estimated to take longer than 14 hours. This exceeds the 12 ½ hours maximum time limit as provided by Article 16(1) of the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011, and this section of the request is declined.
Article 16 - A scheduled public authority may refuse to supply information if cost excessive
(1) A scheduled public authority that has been requested to supply information may refuse to supply the information if it estimates that the cost of doing so would exceed an amount determined in the manner prescribed by Regulations.
Article 23 - Information accessible to applicant by other means
(1) Information is absolutely exempt information if it is reasonably available to the applicant, otherwise than under this Law, whether or not free of charge.
(2) A scheduled public authority that refuses an application for information on this ground must make reasonable efforts to inform the applicant where the applicant may obtain the information.