Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Change in circumstances (Income Support)

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Tell the Income Support team about any change in your circumstances

If you're receiving Income Support and you have had change in your circumstances, you must tell us about it and give us evidence of what has changed. 

For example, if you’ve started work, you must give us a copy of your employment contract. 

Tell Income Support about your employment changes​ 

Book an appointment with the work and family hub​​

Why you need to tell us about any change​ in your circumstances

You’ll need to let us know within 14 days of any change in your circumstances. 

If you don’t, you may lose any benefit that you could be entitled to or you may be overpaid benefit which you may have to repay.​

You’ll need to tell us if you’re planning on leaving Jersey, even if it’s only for a short period, as your benefit could be affected if you’re out of the Island. 

Change of earnings​​​ in your current job

You must let us know whenever you’ve had a change in your earnings. 

Changes in your earnings could mean that you have: 

  • ​​started a job
  • finished a job
  • changed your pay and hours​

​If you start a new job

You’ll need to provide us with the period your pay covers. 

Your income support payment works on a daily rate of entitlement, so if your employer only pays you for a few days and not a full week or month, we can make sure you get the amount of Income Support that you’re entitled to. 

You will need to have the following information available to complete the form below:

  • employment start date
  • type of contract (for example permanent / temporary / fixed term / zero hour / seasonal / term-time)
  • gross pay, before any deductions (per hour / day / week / month / year)
  • date you will receive your first pay
  • dates your first pay covers
  • how often you will be paid (for example weekly / fortnightly / every four weeks / monthly)
  • date of your regular pay day (for example last working day of the month / last Friday of the month)
  • whether your pay includes rolled-up holiday pay and, if so, at what rate (for example 6% / 8.75% / 11.5%)

Tell Income Support about your employment changes​

If you left your last job

If you left your last job, you’ll still be able to claim Income Support but you could lose your benefit if you gave up work without a good reason. ​

Tell Income Support about your employment changes​

Income Support: what happens if you leave your job or fail to look for work

If you have started your own business

If you start your own business and you have been registered as unemployed for over a month, we may ignore the first three months earnings of your business to help you out. 

You must show us your business registration documents from Regulations and Undertakings. 

We will then review your earnings for each quarter.

Starting up a new business

​Profit and loss accounts​​​​

If you're receiving Income Support and you're starting up a business, you'll need to let us know your profit and loss accounts. This is so that we can change your Income Support payments if necessary.

You can let us know using the form below.​

Profit and loss accounts form for self-employed people on Income Support

Changes to your household situation

You must let us know when you've had a change to your household situation, as this could affect your housing payments.

A change could mean that you have:

  • changed address
  • had a partner move in or out
  • got married or entered into a civil partnership
  • taken in a lodger

Changes in household situation information leaflet

Changes to your childcare arrangements​

You should let us know if you plan to start work as we may be able to help with costs of childcare. 

There are maximum amounts we pay per hour. If we don't cover the full costs, you'll need to pay the remainder.

We may also be able to help if you have an illness or disability that affects your ability to care for your children.

We will only help with any childcare provider that is regulated by the Day Care of Children (Jersey) Law 2002 or accredited by the Jersey Child Care Trust.

You can find more advice by:

  • reading our Income Support childcare leaflet
  • contacting us
  • contracting the Jersey Child Care Trust

Changes in childcare information leaflet

How your Income Support benefit is made up

Childcare providers on Jersey Child Care Trust website

Changes to your child maintenance

You must let us know when you’ve had a change in circumstance in relation to your child maintenance.

A change could mean:​

  • ​you’re not receiving maintenance from an ex-partner
  • you’re making maintenance payments to an ex-partner..

Change in child maintenance information leaflet

Back to top
rating button