Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Starting up a new business

​​​​​​​​​Help and advice for new businesses

Jersey Business provides free, confidential advice for anyone setting up a business. They can guide you on which business structure is most appropriate for you. 

The Business Licensing guidance notes explain the law around getting a business licence and employing staff.

Limited company 

You must register your company with the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC) before you can apply for a business licence.

Setting up a Limited Company on the Jersey Business website

Sole trader or partnership

Trading using a business name

If you want to trade using a business name, check that your business name is not already registered with the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC), and that it complies with any guidance issued by them.

Then you need to apply for your business licence and business name together in the form below. If your business licence is granted the JFSC will contact you to arrange payment or to discuss if there are any issues with your business name. Once your business name is approved, you will receive a certificate.

Trading in your own name

If you want to trade under your own name, you need to complete the application for a business licence below.


If you wish to form a Limited partnership this must be registered with the JFSC before you apply for a business licence.

If you do not wish to form a Limited partnership you just need to apply for a business licence.

Apply for a business licence

You must apply for a business licence to run your business and to employ staff.

We may contact you to check or update your residential status.

Apply for a business licence

If you would prefer to complete a paper copy of the application please email Business Licensing or call +44 (0) 1534 444444

Book an appointment with the business hub

How we share your data

If your application is successful, your information will shared with Revenue Jersey and the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC) where necessary.

This is in order to:

  • process your application for a business name with the JFSC (if you applied for one)
  • organise your personal Social Security contribution liability as a business owner
  • register your business as an employer to pay Social Security contributions and ITIS for your staff (if you are employing staff)
  • improve the services we provide to you

As we improve our processes, the departments that we notify may change to continue making it easier for you. 

If you have any questions regarding how your information may be used, contact us.

Tell Us Once Data Sharing Agreement

Employing staff

If you plan on employing staff you can find information to help you recruit and advertise for staff, understand who you can employ, submit manpower returns and apply to employ Registered & Licensed staff in our employing staff section.

Paying tax and social security contributions

If your application is successful, we'll contact you to discuss how you want to pay your Class 2 Social Security contributions liability.

Find information on Class 2 contributions payment options for self-employed, including the Startup Plan.

If you're going to employ staff we'll let Revenue Jersey know so they can register your business to pay ITIS (tax) and Social Security contributions for your staff.

Revenue Jersey will contact you by post within seven days of your licence being granted to provide your ITIS and Social Security registration details and a link to where you will submit your monthly employer returns.

Setting up a business if you're on Income Support

If you're receiving Income Support, you need to let us know what your profit and loss accounts are. This is so your Income Support payments can be changed if necessary.

Profit and loss accounts form for self-employed people on Income Support

Register with the Jersey Office of the Information Commissioner (JOIC)

The Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2018 requires all controllers and processors established in Jersey who process personal data to register with them and to pay a fee (subject to certain exemptions).

Under the Law anyone who does not comply with these provisions is guilty of a criminal offence and subject to a fine.

You'll need to let the JOIC know certain details about how you process personal information.

Find out more and register on the JOIC website.

Useful links

Registering as an employer for contributions

Paying Class 2 contributions (if you’re self-employed or don’t pay Class 1 contributions)

Paying employers’ ITIS

Business Licensing privacy policy

Back to top
rating button