What does primary school careers education involve?
Skills Jersey is working with primary schools in:
- identifying the skills and qualifications pupils would need to develop specific careers
- highlighting the differences between a career and a job
- understanding various industry sectors
- student-led research into specific career areas
- presenting research to their peers
- meeting and interviewing professionals from a variety of industry sectors
- understand the links between curriculum subjects and career choices
Which schools are Skills Jersey currently working with?
- St Saviour’s
- St John’s
There are plans to work with additional primary schools over the next 12 months.
How parents can support their children’s primary school careers education
As a parent you can:
- make time to listen to your child reading
- talk to your child about your own work roles
- if possible, take your child into your workplace to give them an understanding of your role and working environment
- encourage them to research various job roles related to their interests
- visit careers presentations at your child’s school
- highlight different career roles that you and your child come into contact with during day-to-day life (eg doctor, vet, policeman, teacher)
- follow up school visits to industry (eg Jersey Dairy, construction sites, hotels, etc) with discussion about the job roles within each sector