Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Become a supply teacher

How to become a supply teacher

To apply to become a supply teacher, you must have the following:

  • Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) 
  • DfE Number

You may also be considered if you have your QTS but have not completed your Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) year.

Unqualified teachers can apply in exceptional circumstances. For example, experienced individuals with Qualified Teacher Learning & Skills (QTLS), Jersey Graduate Teacher Training Partnership (JGTTP) or those holding an iPGCE. QTLS teachers must be recognised by the Department for Education (DfE) to be considered.

You can apply if you have a Society for Education and Training (SET) membership and current QTLS status. However, this is only valid for the duration that you maintain your membership with the SET.

If you're a qualified teacher, but have had long breaks in service (4 years or more), you will need to demonstrate that you have kept your skills up to date (e.g. voluntary work in schools.)

Trained outside the UK

Teachers who trained outside of the UK must obtain proof of their UK QTS.  Further information can be found in the DfE’s routes to QTS guidance.

Apply to become a supply teacher

You can apply to be on the supply register even if you do not have ‘licensed’ residential status. A school may be able to offer you a fixed term contract if they have a ‘license’ for a specific role. 

Email the People Hub for an application form or further advice and guidance. The supply register is available to both Primary and Secondary schools. Once registered there is no guarantee of regular work.

Back to top
rating button