Why think about careers in year 10 and 11?
Certain careers require you to study specific subjects and qualifications so it's a good idea to start researching the career areas that interest you to ensure you are making the right choices to progress into those areas.
The following events, resources and activities are designed to help you decide on the best option for you:
Post-16 information evenings and open days
Most secondary schools organise information evenings to provide you with information on post-16 options. The post-16 education institutions also put on open days to allow you to look around their facilities and meet the teachers. Both are a great opportunities to get information, advice and guidance on the best option for you.
Jersey Skills Show
This event aims to bring skills to life and gives attendees the chance to learn about education, training and careers in an engaging and inspiring way. The Skills Show is free to attend, and gives attendees the opportunity to:
- learn about a huge variety of skills and career opportunities on-Island
- speak to employers about working within the industry
- find out about education, training and apprenticeships
- have a go at different skills and discover new talents
- be inspired by the talents of those already trained within the industry
- get independent and impartial careers advice and guidance
Higher Education Fair
Every year in March, more than 60 universities are represented at the Higher Education Fair. This is a free event for students and adults to attend who are considering higher education options.
Trident work experience
Trident is a work experience scheme that allows you to experience three weeks of working life while in Year 10 or 11 at school. For more information see the Trident section of this website.
Visits to Skills Jersey
Skills Jersey is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm and you're welcome to speak to one of our qualified careers advisers to discuss your career options free of charge.
Skills Jersey's education liaison team delivers talks throughout the year in all the Island's secondary schools, covering topics such as:
- post-16 options
- higher education
- work training initiatives
- employment options
School careers lessons
Within your school timetable, careers lessons will cover a variety topics including:
- preparation for Trident work experience
- health and safety at work
- identifying skills and qualities
- understanding job families
- creating your first CV
- job applications, covering letters and speculative letters
- entry requirements for selective careers
Visits to local employers
Many schools organise visits to local employers. These are a great opportunity to gain a better understanding of how businesses operate.
What if I’ve got further questions?
Your school’s careers department or Skills Jersey will be able to help you with any further information you are looking for.