Infrastructure and Environment offers a scheme to provide free bus travel for Jersey residents living with a diagnosed long term disability that limits their travel options.
This scheme also includes a Companion Pass facility which gives free travel for a companion to accompany those unable to travel alone on the bus.
Applicants who meet the criteria can benefit from free travel on any LibertyBus service by getting the AvanchiAccess pass or the AvanchiAccess+ companion pass.
|The concessionary bus pass scheme for Jersey residents with a diagnosed long-term disability
|As AvanchiAccess, plus free travel for a companion to accompany those who are unable to travel alone on a bus some or all of the time
Who can apply
You can apply for the AvanchiAccess pass if you:
- have a disability which meets the criteria
aged 5 or above
- are Jersey resident, having lived in the island for at least 5 years
You'll qualify for the AvanchiAccess+ (Companion Pass) if you're also unable to travel alone on the bus and need a companion on some or all journeys.
Passes will not be issued for a short term disability. The scheme has been created to meet the needs of those with long term or permanent, chronic conditions only.
Criteria to apply
To apply you need to have 1 of the following that prevents you from driving:
- sight impaired or severely sight impaired
- severely or profoundly deaf
- being in receipt of mobility component, long-term care benefit or personal care level 3
- mental health issues
- a learning disability
- progressive degenerative condition
- you would not be granted a licence to drive or your licence has been withdrawn based on medical grounds
- walking difficulties
- seizures causing loss of consciousness or altered consciousness, including epilepsy
Additional criteria for Companion Pass:
- unable to travel alone on the bus
- requires a companion on some or all journeys
Companions can only travel free of charge when travelling with the bus pass holder. Only 1 companion may travel free on any journey, and both the cardholder and companion must get on the bus and leave the bus at the same points.
How to apply
You'll need to:
- print and fill out the AvanchiAccess and AvanchiAccess+ application form.
The form is also available from Liberation Station, parish halls, Customer and Local Services, community and voluntary organisations, and your doctor’s surgery
- get your application form to be signed by an authorised signatory to confirm that you qualify
- take your completed form and supporting evidence to the LibertyBus Customer Service Centre at Liberation Station
Passes will be issued within 48 hours of the application being made.
If you would like your pass posted to you, allow 5 working days after making your application.
Cost and pass duration
AvanchiAccess and AvanchiAccess+ can be used on LibertyBus services at any time. There is no charge for issuing a pass. If a pass is lost or damaged, a replacement fee of £5 will be payable. Passes are issued for a duration of 5 years, and can be renewed at any time prior to expiry date.
Changing an existing pass
If you have an existing AvanchiAccess or
Concession pass, and you are unable to travel alone, you may be eligible to change to the AvanchiAccess+ pass.
You can apply by completing the AvanchiAccess and AvanchiAccess+ application form.