Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Separate assessments for married couples and civil partnerships

About separate assessments 

​From 1 January 2022, some Islanders will be independently taxed.  If you were separately assessed in the year of assessment 2020, you were given the opportunity to elect for independent taxation from the year of assessment 2022.

If you're taxed under married or civil partnership rules you may still elect for separate assessment.

Independent taxation

Electing for separate assessments

  • makes no difference to the amount of tax you pay as a couple or to your ITIS effective rate
  • you're liable to pay just your proportion of the total tax
  • allows you to keep your income confidential from your spouse
  • you won't get automatically get a breakdown of how your tax is worked out
  • all separate assessment cases are manually assessed so can't go through any automated processes

For example, a married couple ​want to be separately assessed. Spouse A has earnings of £60,000 and spouse B has earnings of £15,000. 

​​Tax and Long Term Care (using married tax reliefs)
​ITIS effective rate
​Spouse A
​Spouse B

How separate assessments work

Each spouse will receive their own tax return to declare their own income. Any joint income should be split in proportion, for example rental income from jointly owned property.

Your tax is calculated based on your joint income and the tax reliefs you get as a married couple. You then each receive your own tax bill which you're liable to pay.

We can only assess what tax you need to pay once we have both of your returns. All separate assessments have to be calculated manually so you may need to wait longer for your tax bill. 

Before you consider separate assessments

Pay your share of your joint tax bill

Separate assessments will allow you pay your share of your joint tax bill, but we will still need both your tax returns before we can calculate the tax. This is because your share of the tax bill is still based on your combined income and a share of the married tax reliefs. You pay your proportion of the overall tax.

Keep your income private from your spouse or civil partner

Separate assessments does allow privacy in dealing with your own tax affairs, but you won't be able to see the full workings of how your tax is calculated. We can't give you the calculation without disclosing both sets of income to both parties.

Separated from a spouse or partner

If you've permanently separated from your spouse or partner, you don't elect for a separate assessment, but you do need to tell us that you've separated.

You'll receive your own tax return to complete and will be taxed as a single person from the date you permanently separated.

You can tell us if you've separated using the tax enquiry form.

Personal tax enquiry form

Request a separate assessment

Either spouse or civil partner can make a request in writing to Revenue Jersey by the end of October of the year of assessment. It will then apply for that year of assessment onward.

If you marry or register a civil partnership later after October, you have one month from the day of your marriage or civil partnership registration.

Cancelling separate assessments

The spouse or civil partner who made the original request can cancel separate assessments.

We must receive the cancellation by the end of January for it to be effective for the previous year.

If you have separate tax assessments and you permanently separate from your spouse or partner you must tell us, as you will be taxed as a single person.

Back to top
rating button