11 August 2021
The Energy Trends report for 2020 has been published today by Statistics Jersey. The Energy Trends report looks at the supply and use of various fuels such as electricity, gas and petroleum products. It also focuses on changes over time.
It is important to note that, as a result of the global pandemic, activity related to travel and some economic sectors was reduced throughout 2020. It is therefore expected that this will have had an impact on the supply and use of energy in those areas.
Summary for 2020
- Almost all of Jersey’s energy supply was imported; about 3% was produced on Island as electricity generated by the Energy Recovery Facility and Jersey Electricity solar panels
- Petroleum products accounted for about three-fifths (59%) of Jersey’s energy supply; electricity (imported and on-Island generated) accounted for the remainder (41%)
- Jersey’s total primary energy supply (TPES) was 10% less than in 2019
- Total final energy consumption (FEC) was 10% lower than in 2019
- Energy consumption per head of resident population was 1.3 toe and was below that of the UK (1.8 toe)
- Of total energy used, just under half (43%) was by households, around a third (29%) for transportation (predominantly road) and a similar amount (28%) by industry and government