When you need a licence
You must hold an Animal Welfare Licence if you:
- already have or want to open an animal sanctuary
- have a business selling animals as pets
- have a business boarding cats or dogs
- have a pet grooming business at any premises (including mobile units or private residence)
- keep 5 or more females for the purpose of breeding for sale. This includes dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits and horses
- have a business keeping or using animals wholly or mainly for the purpose of performing for reward or entertaining the public
- keep animals for exhibitions at any premises with public access for more than 7 days in a year, with or without an admission charge
You cannot apply for a licence if you're disqualified:
- under Article 30 of the law
- from keeping an animal under any other enactment
- from holding any licence mentioned in Article 30
Animal Welfare (Jersey) Law 2004 on Jersey Law website
The standards required for your premises are based on the
welfare code relevant to the type of animal you have in your care.
After receiving your completed application form, we'll arrange to inspect your premises.
We can make arrangements for an invoice to be sent out or you can pay by cheque, payable to "The Treasurer of the States". The fee is on the application form.
Complete the relevant application form and send to email@example.com
Application for an animal exhibit licence - keeping animals wholly, or mainly, for the purpose of exhibition to the public, at any premises to which members of the public have access, with or without charge for admission, on 7 days or more in any period of 12 consecutive months.
Application for an animal grooming licence - the grooming, for reward, of other people's animals, at any premises (including a private dwelling), whether or not the animals are kept at those premises.
Application for an animal performance licence - keeping or use of any animal, wholly or mainly for the purpose of performing tricks or manoeuvres, for reward for the entertainment of the public.
Application for the sale of animals licence - the sale, from premises other than a private dwelling, wholly or mainly for domestic purposes, or the keeping of animals at premises other than a private dwelling, with a view to such sale, whether by the person carrying on the business or any other person.
Application for an animal boarding licence - the provision, for reward, of accommodation for other people's dogs or cats at any premises (excluding a private dwelling, unless the dogs or cats are accommodated only in any yard, garden, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance forming part of the dwelling).
Application for an animal breeding licence - for the keeping of 5 or more female cats, dogs, guinea pigs, horses or rabbits at any premises (including a private dwelling) for the purpose of breeding for sale, whether by the person commencing or carrying on the business or by any other person.
It is an offence for a person to establish or keep an animal sanctuary, except under the authority of a licence.
A person establishes or keeps an animal sanctuary if that person regularly receives into his or her care:
- domestic or captive animals which are, or appear to be unwanted, or to have been lost or abandoned by their owner, or which can no longer be kept by their owner
- any other animals for the purpose of their temporary or permanent accommodation at any premises (including a private dwelling), whether with or without the provision of any treatment.
Application for an animal sanctuary licence
The fee for your licence inspection depends on the type of premises you have and the type of animals you care for.
If you have more than 1 business requiring a licence we may be able offer a reduced fee.
You must renew your licence every year.
Keeping or breeding premises and boarding kennels
These fees only apply for premises keeping some types of animals:
- guinea pigs
|Less than 10||£150||£136|
|10 or more||£225||£165|
Grooming or sale premises, performance or exhibition and sanctuaries
These fees apply for premises keeping all types of animals.