Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Accidents: frequently asked questions

Notification of workplace accidents by employers

You are not required by Law to inform the Health and Safety Inspectorate of accidents, although some organisations choose to.

Accidents are reported when a medical certificate is submitted.

You can also download an accident notification form to report accidents to the Health and Safety Inspectorate should you wish to.

You may use the form as part of your in-house procedures for recording or investigating accidents.

Download accident notification form (size 4kb)

Accident recording and record books 

There is no legal requirement to record accidents and dangerous occurences. 

Keeping a record can help to identify whether similar accidents are occurring over time. If the injured person chooses to take legal action against you at a future date it will provide you with essential information.

Copies of the 'Accident Record Book' are available to collect, free of charge, from the Health and Safety Inspectorate, Maritime House, La Route du Port Elizabeth, St. Helier.

You can also collect accident books in person from the Custom and Local Services, La Motte Street, or by emailing

Notification of accidents by employees

It is not necessary to notify the Health and Safety Inspectorate but you can do so if you wish.

Investigation of accidents

The Health and Safety Inspectorate is unable to investigate all accidents and takes into consideration a number of factors when deciding what to investigate.

These include:

  • severity of injury or potential for severe injury
  • likelihood of repeat incident
  • safety record of employer

Receiving payment (wages) after an accident at work

The payment of wages by your employer after an accident is not a health and safety issue. 

Your employer should have provided you with a contract containing your terms of employment.

The Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Services (JACS) can provide further advice.

Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service (JACS) website

Claiming compensation for injuries

Disclosure of information, obtained as a result of an investigation by the Health and Safety Inspectorate into an incident, is tightly restricted by Law.

The majority of information gathered cannot be released. Factual information can be disclosed to legal parties in limited circumstances.

Further information can be obtained by contacting the Health and Safety Inspectorate.

Making a complaint about health and safety in your workplace 

If your complaint is related to a working activity, then you should contact the Health and Safety Inspectorate to report it.

If you wish to make a formal complaint about your employer you should be aware that we will advise the employer that a complaint has been received. We will not disclose your identity but do not accept anonymous complaints.

We are happy to discuss your concerns but, unless you wish an inspector to enter your workplace, you should not disclose the name of your employer.

If you make a formal complaint to the Health and Safety Inspectorate, then it will be considered in accordance with our complaints procedure. This explains how complaints will be dealt with.

The Health and Safety Inspectorate is unable to deal with issues which are not related to a working activity.

Health and safety inspections
Industry related complaints - our approach

Back to top
rating button