Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

How to register on the Rent Safe scheme

If you rent out one property

You will need to complete the form to register for Rent Safe.

Single property application form

We will review your application, and if there are no obvious category 1 hazards, we'll rate you as three stars on Rent Safe. A category 1 hazard is classed as the most serious risk to health, safety and wellbeing.

We will then visit your property for a full assessment. After the visit​, you will be given an official rating of three, four or five stars, or you'll be told that the property is currently not up to our minimum standard and you'll be given a report explaining what needs to be improved.

If you rent out more than one property

You will need to complete this form to express your interest in the scheme.

Multiple properties application form

We will then contact you to discuss the best way to assess your properties.


Make sure you're accepted into the scheme by getting rid of any hazards that could harm your tenants. Access routes, gardens and yards must meet the minimum scheme standards of a three star rating.

How to get a three star rating on Rent Safe​

Documents you'll need

If you want to achieve the minimum standard for paperwork in the Rent Safe scheme, you must have:

  • a written rental agreement which should include your name and address as the landlord, rent terms, frequency of payment and the period of tenancy
  • proof of protection of a tenants' deposit
  • a written inventory
  • gas safety record​​
  • electrical safety  

Responding to anti-social behaviour 

As a landlord, you must:

  • provide your contact details to neigh​bours and to respond to complaints either by issuing a warning to your tenants, or by meeting with police​
  • co-operate with agencies and take the nec​​essary steps (like legal action) if the problem is not resolved within agreed time-scales
  • make sure that the outside of the property and gardens are presentable
Back to top
rating button