Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Public Registry (property sales)

What does the Public registry section do?

The main function of the Public Registry section is to manage, administer and maintain the Public Registry of the Island in which all land deeds and associated documents are enrolled for the purpose of evidencing title to real estate.  

The Public Registry is responsible for providing up to date and accurate information of all property transactions passed before the Royal Court so that lawyers and conveyancers can carry out the necessary research on title. The lawyer takes the responsibility for providing good title. The purchaser can sue the lawyer if they are negligent and the Court can and will award damages.  

Is DIY conveyancy possible in Jersey?

DIY conveyancing is not really possible or advisable in Jersey. Unlike the UK the Public Registry does not give certificate of title. 

Passing of contracts


All deeds, or contracts as they are known in Jersey, are now passed in English.  A vendor could prepare their own draft contract, if they have sufficient knowledge, and if the lawyer acting for the purchaser was willing to accept the draft contract from them. A purchaser cannot present a contract to the Royal Court for passing. 

Who can present a contract to the Royal Court? 

Under Article 2 (2) of the 1961 Law on the Practice of the Legal Profession only a qualified person as defined in Article 1 can present a contract to the Royal Court. A qualified person being the Attorney General, Solicitor General, an advocate or solicitor of the Royal Court.


Copies of contracts 

If people wish to obtain copies of their contracts we can provide them but we cannot give advice regarding boundary disputes etc.

Translating a contract

We can provide names of people who do translations. Translating a contract is quite specialised work. The terminology used is mainly old legal French although some anglicised words have crept in.​​

Back to top
rating button