Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Photo of gold wedding ring placed on open bookPhoto of gold wedding ring placed on open book

​​Name change checklist after marriage

It's not a legal requirement in Jersey for you to change your surname after marriage. If you want to change your surname after you get married, you will need to contact the following departments so that they can update your details:

Customer and Local Services

You need to contact Customer and Local Services (formerly Social Security Department) to update the following:

  • your health card
  • your registration card
  • any benefits you receive
  • your passport
  • your income tax records

You will need to provide the following with you:

  • your marriage certificate
  • your health card (if you have it)
  • photographic ID (ie driving licence or passport)
  • your registration card
  • your passport

Changing a name in your passport

Revenue Jersey

You'll need to tell Revenue Jersey by completing the Personal tax enquiry online form.

Personal Tax enquiry form

Married persons tax information

Separate tax assessments for married couples and civil partnerships

Your local parish hall

You must notify your parish if you change your name. Visit your local parish hall with your marriage certificate.

If you have a driving licence, you will need to apply for a new one in your new name.

You can do this at your local parish hall or you can do it online. You will need the following:

  • a colour photograph
  • your current driving licence
  • your marriage certificate

Parishes we​bsite

Driver and vehicle standards

Fill in your new name and, if necessary, your new address details, and sign box 1 on the reverse side of your vehicle registration document and take it to Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) at La Collette. You will be required to show a copy of your marriage certificate at the time of presenting your vehicle registration document.  A new document will be sent to you by post. 

There is no charge for this service.

Back to top
rating button