Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Baby feetBaby feet

How to change your gender by law

In order to change your gender by law you need to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

There are two steps to change your gender by law:

  1. apply to the Royal Court of Jersey for a Gender Recognition Certificate

  2. once you have got your certificate we will enter you into the Gender Recognition Register

New birth certificate

After you have changed your gender by law, you can apply for a new birth certificate with your new gender and name on it.

We maintain a confidential link between the original birth record and the record in the Gender Recognition Register.

The Gender Recognition Register is not open to the public.

Make an appointment with us to start the application process. You need to bring your Gender Recognition Certificate and proof of identity with you.

There is no charge for the registration in the Gender Recognition Register, however the copy of your new birth certificate costs £31.52.

Back to top
rating button