Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Baby feetBaby feet

​Changing your child's name or their birth registration

it is possible apply to change your child’s name or to change the details on your child’s birth registration in these circumstances:

  • if you wish to change or add any names to your child’s registration, you can apply to change your child’s name at any time within the first year of your child’s birth
  • you can also apply to re-register your child if you have married each other following your child’s original birth registration. If you're re-registering your child's surname after getting married you can ask to add or remove any forename at the same time
  • if your child was originally registered with no father’s details on their birth registration, you can jointly apply with the father of the child to re-register the child’s birth and add his details

To change your child's name both parents need to make an appointment with the Office of the Superintendent Registrar and take:

  • a completed application to register a birth form
  • your child's original birth certificate
  • your own ID
  • your marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • a fee of £89.31 (this includes £31.52 for a replacement birth certificate)

You'll be asked to complete and sign the form relating to the type of application you are making. You can order a new certificate for your child.

Any fees paid to the Superintendent Registrar are non-refundable.

Parish registrars

The Office of the Superintendent Registrar is now registering all births across the island except for St Brelade.

Contact St Brelade's Parish Hall if you need to register a birth for this parish.

Back to top
rating button