Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Support for children with severe long-term illnesses or disabilities (Child Personal Care benefit)

​​​About the Child Personal Care benefit​​

If you have a child (or children) with a high level of long-term illness or disability but you don’t get Income Support, you can apply for the Child Personal Care benefit regardless of your household income.  

Qualifying for the Child Personal Care benefit​

The requirements for the benefit are:

  • your child must need a very high level of help with their personal care when compared to other children of the same age
  • one adult in the household must pass the Income Support residence test 
  • the child’s condition must be expected to last at least six months (either before or after the claim is made), but the benefit may be available to children who are terminally ill
  • your child must meet the requirements for level two or three of the Personal Care component

The benefit can be awarded for physical, sensory, emotional and cognitive conditions. 

A child is defined as being under compulsory school leaving age. 

Income Support residence test​​

Personal Care component levels​​

A child who needs a high level of personal care will always need a lot of help from an adult with activities that a child of the same age would normally manage entirely on their own, or with only a small amount of help.  

There are three levels of Personal Care. Children who meet level one aren’t eligible for Personal Care benefit, although you may qualify for additional help if you already get Income Support. 

Level one​​​​​​

Children with an impairment that affects some aspects of daily life, but who don’t need a high level of help. For example, a child with epilepsy who needs help with medication, or a child with asthma who needs assistance to carry out some everyday tasks.

Level two​

Children with a high level of impairment who need help with a wide range of their daily activities. For example, a child with learning difficulties who needs a lot of help with getting around and remaining safe, or a child with physical disabilities who needs a lot of help walking, getting dressed, toileting and washing

Level three​​​

Children with a severe level of impairment who needs a high amount of help with everyday tasks, eg paralysis or very significant learning disabilities. Someone qualifying at this level will require a high level of care throughout the day and night.

How much you’ll receive​​​

If you meet level two of the Personal Care component, you’ll receive £107.24 per week. 

If you meet level three of the Personal Care component, you’ll receive £154.07 per week.  

How to apply for the Child Personal Care benefit​​

We've given information to each school telling parents how to apply, or you can apply by contacting us directly. 

If you’re already receiving a Personal Care component for your child through Income Support, you don’t need to apply.  

Download information on applying for the Child Personal Care benefit (size 43kb)

Extra help for carers​

If you’re caring for a child who meets level three of the Personal Care component, you may be able to claim the Home Carer’s Allowance benefit and for extra support under Income Support. 

You can contact us for more information. 

Home Carer’s Allowance​

Back to top
rating button