Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

How your pension works

Your pension statement

If you live in Jersey and receive an old age pension, we’ll send you an annual pension statement by the end of January.

You should wait to receive your statement. We can’t issue individual statements.

Current pension rate

A full rate old-age pension is £235.27 per week.

For a married couple receiving a pension based on the contributions of the husband, the maximum rate is £390.60 per week.

What is ​a pension? 

A pension is a weekly benefit paid to you when you reach a certain age.

The amount of pension you receive will depend on the amount of Social Security contributions you have paid during your working life.

​Age you can take a pension

If you were born before 1 January 1955, your pension age is 65.

If you were born on or after 1 January 1955, your pension age has changed.

Women who registered with Social Security before 1 January 1975 can claim a pension when they reach the age of 60.

Check your pension age

Claiming a pension early

If your pension age is 65, you can claim a reduced pension at any point when you’re between age 63 and 65, but this reduced rate is payable for life.

You must take this into account when planning for your future.

The age that a reduced pension can be paid will move up in line with the changes to the pension age.

​Taking your pension early

How to claim a pension

If you're living in Jersey and you've paid contributions in the last six years, you should receive a letter from us about three months before you reach pensionable age.

This letter includes an authentication code which you can use to apply for a pension online.

If you haven’t received a letter from us one month before you reach pensionable age, you can apply for a pension application form using the online form below. 

You can also use this form to apply for a pension if you: 

  • live outside Jersey or
  • want to claim your pension early

You should complete this form as soon as possible. We can't back-date a pension for more than six months before the date you claim.

Ask for a pension application form

Book an appointment with the pension and care hub

How your pension is paid

Your pension will be paid four weeks in advance directly into an account with any recognised bank or building society.

We can pay your pension to you anywhere in the world.

Tax and your pension

​Your pension is taxable, so you must declare how much pension you receive on your tax return each year.

If you live in Jersey, we will send you a statement each January which will show your total pension for the previous year.

Requirements for claiming a pension

To get a pension, you must have paid contributions for at least four and a half years.

To get a pension at the full rate (100%), you must have paid or been credited with a certain amount of contributions.

The amount of contributions you need for a full pension is dependent on when you reach pension age, for example:

​Age you reach pension age​Number of years contributions required for a full pension
​65 years to 65 years and 10 months​45
​​66 years to 66 years and 10 months​46
​67 years​47

Check your pension age

If your contribution record is 80% full, you'll be paid 80% of the standard rate of pension.

You won't normally get a pension if you have less than 10% entitlement (about four and a half years' worth of contributions), unless you have also paid contributions in a country which we have an agreement with. 

See below for the list below of countries that Jersey has agreements with.

Paying contributions in another country

If you've paid Social Security contributions in Jersey and in another country that we have a reciprocal agreement with, we may be able to pay you a pension.

We’ll need to receive confirmation of your contributions from that country.

Jersey currently has agreements with:

​BarbadosIsle of Man​​Spain
​Cyprus​Netherlands​United Kingdom
​France​New Zealand​USA
​Guernsey​Northern Ireland


If you're currently living outside Jersey, you'll need to contact the social security office of the country that you worked in and ask them to forward us details of the contributions that you have paid there.

If you live in Jersey, you can contact us on +44 (0) 1534 444444.

Working and claiming a pension

You don’t have to retire to get your pension. You can still work and receive pension payments.

If you do work after you reach pension age, you won’t have to pay contributions but you’ll need to swap your blue registration card (or social security card) for a red one.

Exemptions from contributions

Leaving work and receiving Income Support

You might not be able to claim Income Support if you take your pension early and leave your job without good reason (you don't have to stop working to claim a pension).

You'll also be required to find a job if you're under pension age.  

You should speak to us before making any decisions.​

If you leave your job or fail to look for work (Income Support)​

Effects on other benefits

There are some benefits that won't be paid once you start receiving your pension, such as:

  • Short Term Incapacity Allowance (STIA)
  • Long Term Incapacity Allowance (LTIA)
  • Invalidity Benefit
  • Incapacity Pension
  • Home Carer’s Allowance
  • Survivor’s Allowance
  • Survivor’s Pension

You can however claim disablement benefit and receive a pension at the same time. However, we can only pay an increase for a dependant wife on either your disablement benefit or your pension.

​Claiming an increase in your pension for your wife

If you’re a married man, and you’re living with your wife, you could get an increase of up to £149.17 a week if your marriage took place before 1 April 2001.  

If you are separated, you may get an increase if you are paying your wife maintenance.

 Your pension can be increased if:

  • your wife is under 65
  • you were married before 1 April 2001
  • she is living with you, or
  • she isn't living with you but you fully or mainly support her financially

The pension increase can't be paid if your wife is already getting a pension or any other social security benefit.

Women and pensions

If you're a woman and you registered with Social Security before 1 January 1975, you're entitled to claim a pension at 60 years old.

If you decide to do this, you won't be able to receive any benefit that is paid to people under normal pension age, eg Short Term Incapacity Allowance.

If you haven't paid enough contributions to qualify for a pension at 60, you can continue to pay contributions until you're 65, while you’re still working.

Claiming a pension as a married woman

If you're near or over 65 when your husband claims his pension, you should receive a letter inviting you to claim a pension based on your husband’s contribution record. Contact us if you don't get a letter.

Using your husband's contributions to claim a pension

You can get a pension of your own using your husband's contribution record if:

  • you were married before 1 April 2001
  • you're at least 65 years old
  • your husband is at least 65 years old and has qualified for a pension

Your household tax liability may be affected by a wife taking a pension based on her husband's record. We strongly recommend you contact the Revenue Jersey team on +44 (0) 1534 440300 to discuss your tax liability before claiming a pension on your husband's record.

We will automatically pay you the highest pension rate. If you wish to claim a lower pension rate based on your own record you must advise us in writing via email or by post.

Email the Pensions and Care Team

Pensions and Care Team
Customer and Local Services
PO Box 55
La Motte Street
St Helier

Using an ex-husband's contributions to claim a pension 

If you were married before 1 April 2001 but have since divorced, we may be able to use your ex-husband’s contributions instead of your own for the time you were married. 

If you're under 65 when your husband qualifies for his pension

If you're under 65 when your husband qualifies for his pension and you were married before 1 April 2001, he will get an increase to his pension for you.

When you reach 65, that increase will be payable to you directly as a pension in your own right.


If you’re receiving widow’s benefit, you’ll be entitled to either a widow’s pension or an old age pension based on your own contribution record when you reach pension age. You’ll get whichever is more beneficial to you (based on your contribution record).

If you were married after 1 April 2001, you’ll receive a pension based on your own contribution record.

If you were married before 1 April 2001, we can use your husband’s contributions instead of your own for the time you were married.

​​Telling us about changes in your circumstances

You must tell us if you:

  • change address
  • change your bank or bank account
  • are detained in prison
  • get married
  • get divorced
  • leave Jersey  

Appealing a pension decision

If you're unhappy with a decision, you can contact Customer and Local Services in La Motte Street.​

Pension forecasts and predictions 

If you're 58 or over, our pension advisors can give you a prediction of how much pension you might be entitled to. 

If you're under 58, we can only provide a forecast statement if you're expecting a significant change of circumstances, such as:

  • you're getting divorced
  • you're leaving the Island
  • you're being made redundant
  • you want to cancel or start a married woman’s election
  • your contribution liability has changed

You can get application forms for a pension forecast from the main reception at Customer and Local Services or you can call and ask for a form to be sent to you.

This can be useful if you’re thinking of taking your pension early, or retiring and opting out of the Social Security system early.

Opting out of contributions early

Review of the pension rate​

The pension rate increases every October.

We use the Jersey Earnings Index and the Retail Price Index (Pensioners) to work out the value of the pension. This ensures pensions generally increase in line with the growth in earnings and takes into account increases in the cost of living. 

You don't have to do anything to receive this increase. It'll be paid to you automatically.

If you want somebody to speak to us about your claim

If you’d like somebody to speak to us about your claim on your behalf, complete the form below.

You can download and print the form, or collect one from us at the Customer and Local Services Department.

Authority to disclose information form

If you need an agent / authority to receive payments on your behalf

If you need any of your pension to be paid to an agent / authority to receive payments on your behalf, complete the form below.

You can download and print the form, or collect one from us at the Customer and Local Services Department.

Application for payment to an agent or authority form

​Concessions and benefits for pensioners

You may be entitled to concessions and benefits once you reach pension age.

Concessions and Benefits for Senior Citizens on the Citizens Advice website

Back to top
rating button