Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Income Support: people with long term illnesses or disabilities

Income Support: who qualifies for extra health payments?

If you have a long-term illness or disability that has lasted, or will last, for at least six months, or you are terminally ill, you may be able to get extra payments as part of your Income Support claim.

These payments are known as impairment or health payments. Depending on the nature and severity of your condition, you can qualify for them if you:

  • need to visit your GP on a regular basis
  • need assistance with personal care, for example washing and dressing
  • have a condition that seriously affects your ability to get around outdoors
  • need a formal package of care to help you with normal living activities

Young adults and children with a severe illness or disability 

Income Support is normally paid to an entire household, but young adults who have a severe illness or disability may be able to have their own Income Support claim which is separate from their parents. Contact us for more information.

If your household doesn't qualify for Income Support but has a child with a very high level of illness or disability, you can apply for a separate Child Personal Care benefit.

How to apply for health payments from Income Support

You can apply for extra payments from Income Support with a special application form. It asks a series of questions to help you describe how your condition affects you. 

We’ll check your answers against a report from your doctor or healthcare professional to see if you qualify.

There is a separate version of the form for children under 12 years old. You can download examples of both forms to help you understand how to fill them in.

Example Income Support Medical Component claim form for adults
Example ​Income Support Medical Component claim form for children

Income Support: Flexible Personal Care

If you need a formal care package (set up by a care professional / social worker), you can apply for flexible personal care support. This is part of your Income Support claim but it is paid directly to your care provider.

If you need regular help with activities that are an essential part of daily living, you should request a care needs assessment. Contact the Health and Community Services Department Single Point of Referral (SPOR) on +44 (0) 1534 444440 or email

A social care professional will assess you and discuss your care needs with you. You may need a care package and you may be able to get help with the cost through Income Support flexible personal care or the Long Term care scheme.

Home Carer’s Allowance and Income Support carer's payment

If you’re the main carer of a person with a serious health condition or disability, you may be able to receive an Income Support carer’s payment. You may be able to claim Income Support carer’s payment and Home Carer’s Allowance at the same time.
Back to top
rating button