Community Costs Bonus 2021
The Community Costs Bonus is an annual payment to help households that are just above the Income Support level with the cost of GST on food.
Applications for 2021 are now closed.
You can apply online for 2022 from Saturday 1 October 2022.
Cost of Living Temporary Scheme
As a result of rising inflationary pressures on Islanders, the Minister for Social Security has decided to implement a temporary scheme called the Cost of Living Temporary Scheme (COLTS). COLTS will support over 11,000 people in Jersey who receive means-tested benefits.
If you receive any of the following support or benefits, you’ll receive an additional payment of £20 for each member of your household each month from April to December 2022:
- Income Support
- COLD Weather Bonus (CWB)
- Pension Plus Scheme (PPS)
- Community Cost Bonus (CCB)
You don’t need to apply for COLTS. Payments will be sent automatically. If you are claiming any of the benefits linked to the scheme in a given month, you will be eligible for the payment.
Definition of a household
A household is defined in the same way as it is for Income Support purposes. A household can be any of the following:
Who can claim Community Cost Bonus
A household can claim if all of the following apply:
Cold Weather Bonus
The Cold Weather Bonus is designed to help pensioner households with the cost of heating during the winter months.
Only 1 Cold Weather Bonus can be claimed per household.
The Cold Weather Bonus is paid in 2 instalments:
- in January, for the months of October to December
- in May, for the months of January to April
The value of the bonus depends on the temperature in the previous period. The tables below are updated a few days after the end of each month to show the amount for the cold weather period:
Who can claim Cold Weather Bonus
To claim the Cold Weather Bonus, you must be eligible for the Community Costs Bonus. In addition there are 3 more requirements to receive the Cold Weather Bonus:
- on the first day of the cold weather month, your household must include an adult who is 65 or over and have reached pensionable age in Jersey and is either receiving a Jersey old age pension or has 10 years' continuous residency before making the application
- you or your spouse or partner must either own your home or be responsible for a lease (people paying for board or lodgings only won't qualify for the bonus)
- no adult in the household should have received a cold weather payment from Income Support for the cold weather month
If you meet these conditions for only some of the months covered by the bonus, you'll be able to claim a lower amount based on the months that you are eligible for.